Things you need to know
This update is about the current phase out of R22 refrigerant gas and the potential impact that it could have on your business.
The main points
• R22 is a chlorinated gas, and in engineering terms, was virtually the perfect refrigerant
• It’s non-toxic and could operate efficiently at low pressure
• And it was used as the first choice refrigerant for most systems until around 2004
• The major downside with R22 is that it’s not good for the environment and if released it can damage our protective ozone layer
• Under the ‘European Ozone Depleting Substances Regulation’ a timetable was put in place to phase it out
• The phase out of virgin R22 has begun. From 1 January 2010 the sale of new R22 was banned
• And this means it’s become increasingly more difficult and expensive to repair and replace this kind of refrigerant lost through leaks
• Only recovered/reclaimed R22 can be used and this is four times more expensive than its virgin equivalent
• And we expect this price to keep rising as sources become more and more rare
• From 2015 it will be illegal for a contractor to add any extra refrigerant to an R22 system, regardless of whether it is virgin or reclaimed gas
• Like we said at the start, the R22 systems have their days well and truly numbered
How can we help?
If you have an R22 system (or you think you do), you don’t have to do anything now but it might be time to start thinking about your future options.
We can tell you about the costs and talk through ideas and help you make the best decisions for you.
Get in touch
Call us on 01256 842 500 or email us on email@example.com if you’d like to talk it through or start planning now for the future.